Saturday, August 10, 2013

ISNs - I'm doing it!

For the past couple of years, I've been reading blogs and articles and seeing pins about interactive student notebooks (ISNs or INBs), and I've wanted to try them so badly! In the spring of 2012, before I accepted my current position, back when I thought I would be teaching 7th and 8th grade math again, I decided that the 2012-2013 school year would be my year to finally give it a try. And then I accepted my current position, and I knew that with the craziness of starting a new job in a new district, teaching courses I haven't taught since my internship, also trying to figure out ISNs would be a recipe for stress and disaster.

This year, we've had many, many students sign up to take Algebra 1 and far fewer sign up for Geometry, so I'll have only one prep--Algebra.  With only half as many lessons to plan and assessments to create and with our school's time-saving adoption of gradecam, this feels like the perfect time to venture outside my comfort zone and give ISNs a try.

So I'm doing it, y'all. And two of my co-workers have agreed to do it, too.

I have a feeling that there will be some frustration and struggle ahead, but I'm hoping that there will also be plenty of engagement and growth for us as well as our students, too. I am beside myself with excitement!

I've included a few links about ISNs below mostly for my own benefit. This is just a start.

Interactive Notebooks
ETA - I keep coming back to add links, and I'm realizing what a hassle it's going to be to continue searching out this post as the year progresses. I've added an ISN tab at the top where I'll collect ISN-related links in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice and use your Grandma Language! (If you wouldn't use those words in front of Grandma, don't use them here!)