Sunday, August 11, 2013

ISN: An Interactive Notebook KWL

What I Know

When it comes to setting up an interactive notebook, there are basically two formats:

   1. "The left side is 'left' for the students."
  • Right side is for input (info/notes from teacher, text, etc.)
  • Left side is for output (where students process, apply, and reflect) 
  • As far as I can tell, this was the original format (what I think of as "traditional").
   2. "Left for Learning, Right for Reflection."
  • Left side is used for input (info/notes from teacher, text, etc.)
  • Right Side is for output (again, where students process, apply and reflect)
  • I think of this as the "logical" format. 

 What I Want to Know

  • Who decided that the "traditional format" was the way to go? (I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it wasn't a math teacher unless the logic is just well-hidden.)
  • How did they come to that decision? Were there actually reasons or was it just an arbitrary decision?
  • Are there teachers who've tried it both ways? I would love to hear/read their opinions on which is the better way to go.

What I Learned

(to be continued...)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice and use your Grandma Language! (If you wouldn't use those words in front of Grandma, don't use them here!)