Friday, July 27, 2012

My "Teacher Style"

One of the great things about being a teacher is that it's easy to justify back-to-school shopping. Kate from To the Square Inch is hosting a blog carnival (linky party) to showcase teacher style, and I've decided to participate!

Like most teachers, I am on a budget, and in years past, I've relied heavily on Old Navy to meet my back-to-school needs. However, I haven't been very happy with their quality lately, and since one of my summer goals was to pare down my closet, I really need quality pieces that are going to last through more than just one school year.

I'm a tall girl (5'11 barefoot) and not as thin as I used to be, and it has become increasingly difficult for me to find clothes that are cute, comfortable, and classic (I do NOT want any burnout tops in my closet!). Sometime in June, I was turned on to Lands' End by plus-size blogger Brittany Gibbons. Lands' End is great because they carry pretty much every size range (petite, regular, tall, plus, petite plus) and they're good about listing the lengths of dresses and shirts, so it's easy to tell if something is going to be long enough. Because of LE gives such detailed info on their website, I was able to confidently order a whole slew of sleeveless dresses to get me through the summer. I have literally been living in these since they arrived, and I plan to continue into the school year. I'll probably top these with cardigans, but sleeveless tops and dresses are usually fine for work in Alabama since temperatures will likely be in the 80s right on into November.

I bought this sleeveless linen shirt dress in "meadow mist" (pictured). I've been wearing it with wedges this summer, but I'll switch to flats for work. I haven't taught in heels since I interned.

Shop
I own this cotton modal fit and flare dress in taupe ("mushroom"), regent (pictured), navy, and red ("wild cherry"). It is hands down THE most comfortable dress ever, and the fabric is a really nice weight.
Shop
I have this sleeveless poplin dress in "wild cherry" (shown). It also comes in white and china blue. I love that it is fully-lined, and I'm tempted to order it in one of the lighter colors. I'm afraid I would look like an old-school nurse in the white!
Shop
I bought a couple of tanks to pair with cardigans for days when I want to wear pants.

Shop/Shop
I also got this wrap sweater for when it starts to cool off (December). It reminds me of a ballerina sweater I had in high school, and it's so soft and cozy that I'm thinking of ordering another in camel. Can you tell that when I find something I really like I tend to buy it in every color?

Shop
I also purchased these supima cotton cardigans in navy and palm, and I'm in love! They are a great weight--not to heavy for summer, but not so thin that they'll come apart. I have plans to order a few more of these in some neutral colors as funding allows, but I think I may order the "Autumn Sunset Heather" over the weekend. Every Auburn girl needs a burnt orange cardigan!

Shop
Here are a few others that are on my radar. Lands' End is great about offering major sales pretty regularly, so I'll be keeping an eye on these.

Shop


Shop
For footwear, I'm a fan of simple sandals and cute flats. I own several pairs similar to the ones below.
Shop/Shop/Shop/Shop

Shop/Shop/Shop

What's in your wardrobe for the new school year? Do you do some major back-to-school shopping or buy individual pieces throughout the year? Link up with Kate to show us your teacher style!
* * *
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post in any way.  No retailer, manufacturer, or company mentioned here even knows who I am. If I sound like I'm on their sales force, it's because I've been really pleased with their product!

4 comments:

  1. I like these, they are so cute and look comfy.

    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SO much for joining my Linky Party! Super pretty dresses!! I am so happy to have found your blog :)
    ☼ Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!!! I live on Lane Bryant which you might enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice and use your Grandma Language! (If you wouldn't use those words in front of Grandma, don't use them here!)